Isn’t it so comforting to have a warm bowl of oatmeal sweetened a little then topped with some sliced bananas? Especially when it is still cold outside, it seems to have magical powers to warm and comfort. It also a wonderful belly filling meal that keeps you going.
I was thinking of how I could take that same experience and make it into a skillet cake that would be great even on a warm day. A little while back I received a gift from my mother-in-law of some various flours. I know, flours really are an awesome gift. It was exciting because one of the flour was a whole oat flour. I tried using a small percentage of this flour in some bread but was still thinking of how to showcase this better where it could stand out rather than be a supporting character.
When the thought of a skillet cake came up one of the first recipes I thought of was when I made a blueberry skillet cake and how this would be an incredibly appropriate way to show it off. Since oat flour doesn’t have any gluten though I had to add flour with gluten in order to make it hold together instead of crumbling as soon as the fork went in.
Still trying to keep this a somewhat healthy cake that could be eaten as breakfast I opted to use whole wheat pastry flour. The lower protein in pastry flour combined with oat flour made it tender while maintaining its structure. It was sweetened with brown sugar and had a whole banana added to it to really bring out a bowl of oatmeal experience. I also added a little bit of banana extract to heighten the banana flavor.
My youngest daughter had been saying everything I baked lately smelled like banana bread so it was no surprise when she said it with this too. That was alright though. We decided to let it cool and not eat it that day but let it rest to be enjoyed the next morning.
It was a wonderful morning. We went outside to the picnic table with the shade covering us and a nice cool morning breeze blowing over us while we ate this and sipped coffee. Well, my wife and I enjoyed coffee. The little ones had milk which I am sure would be just as good with this.
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet don’t worry. Bake it in what ever pan you have. Then after eating this go get a cast iron and enjoy this cake even more. 🙂
- 1 cup whole oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat or white pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon banana extract (optional)
- Preheat skillet in oven at 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. in a large mixing bowl smash banana then whisk together with eggs. Add milk, brown sugar, and banana extract, if using, then whisk until all mixed together. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix just until the dry ingredients have been hydrated.
- Pour batter in hot skillet. Bake 45-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy or let it sit until the next morning to enjoy also.