Here is another dish that has become a favorite of mine that uses that bread that is just beyond fresh. I bake bread a few times a week which means sometimes there is an abundance of bread and not enough meals before it gets bad. I read some recipes for strata that used bread slices but it sounded perfect for using here.
Now, you don’t have to bake bread just to make this recipe. You could even use one of those day-old breads from your local bakery or supermarket. I also recommend using different breads for different flavors. I have made this recipe using the roasted red pepper & parmesan loaf which was outstanding. However, you could make this with a country white, sourdough, whole wheat, a variety of different flavor combinations.
You should start by cubing the bread into about 3/4 inch chunks and spread them on the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish. Spread 1 cup of grated cheese over the bread. For the cheese cheddar is great. I can imagine using smoked cheddar too…mmm…yes. Next, pour the egg mixture with spices, described in the recipe card below, over the whole dish and bake. It is as simple as that.
OK, enough chatting from me. Here is the recipe. Enjoy.
What kind of flavor combinations do you think would be great?
- 1 cup cubed bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt depending on taste
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut bread into chunks and line bottom of pan, sprinkle cheese on top.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and spices together then pour over bread and cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cheese is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then enjoy.